Curiosities From Renwick Museum
Bottle

Previous Next Curiosities Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 690/765
Copyright Renwick Museum and Watson Memorial Library
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection RML (unaccessioned) General
Description Green glass torpedo bottle. Has damage to the pointy end. No stopper and no markings. Torpedo bottles were also called Hamilton bottles (named after their inventor William Francis Hamilton). He was an englishman who was granted patents in 1809 and 1814 for an orvate shaped bottle.Torpedo bottle held double or triple carbonated soda water. The shape of the bottle meant it had to be laid on it's side, keeping the contents in contact with the cork. This kept the cork wet and swelled and prevented loss of carbonation. Any airspace was at the side, (which was now the top) of the bottle.
Object ID RML0.800.0713
Object Name Bottle
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Renwick Museum and Watson Memorial Library"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014