Previous Next
Record 8/23

Next
Image 1 of 5

Description 
Judge Edward Conolly's wig and tin wig case. Donated by Miss Chaytor. Edward Tennyson Conolly, born in 1822 he entered the Inner Temple as a student in Law in 1849, and was called to the bar on January 30, 1852. Edward was the son of Dr. John Conolly of Hanwell, Middlesex, an eminent authority on insanity. After practising his profession for some thirteen years in England, he came to New Zealand in 1865 and settled in Picton [source: Cyclopedia of New Zealand volume 1, page 81]. He married Emily Hubbard [source: Death certificate of her son John Conolly]. From 1867 till the abolition of the provinces in 1876, he represented Picton on the Marlborough Provincial Council. In December 1881 he was returned to the House of Representatives for Picton, and again in July 1884. His Honour was elevated to the Surpreme Court Bench in August 1889 [source: Cyclopedia of New Zealand volume 1, page 81]. E.T. Conolly was better known as His Honour Mr. Mustice Conolly, Puisne Judge, he held office in two ministries. He was allotted the portfolio of Minister of Justice in the Whitaker government on October 11, 1882, and on the resignation of the Premier, the Hon. (afterwards Sir) F. Whitaker, accepted the same office in conjunction with that of Attorney General in the Atkinson Ministry from September 25, 1883 to August 16, 1884. Mr. Conolly represented Picton until 1887, when he retired from political life. He was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court on August 15, 1889, and resigned on September 9, 1903 [source: Cyclopedia of New Zealand volume 6, page 312].
Wig -Relics of the Past -Copyright Picton Museum and Historical Society
Image
PMHS.800.0121

When using this image please quote "Images courtesy of Picton Museum and Historical Society".

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014