Relics of the Past
Shovel, Grain

Previous Next Relics of the Past Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 5/23
Copyright Picton Museum and Historical Society
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection PMHS (unaccessioned) General
Description Wooden shovel (aka Bats) used at the Picton Malthouse (in the centre in image 2). Donated by Robert (Bob) Elliott.

Picton Malthouse tools: The wooden fork was used for forking the kiln when wet. When it dried it was turned with the wooden shovel, more commonly known as "Bats". The rake was called a "Plough" and was used on the floor when the barley was turned, this was carried out twice a day as it was growing or shooting. The grain was spread over the floor after soaking in what was called a "Steep", which was like a large tub measuring 5 feet deep by 8 feet wide and approximately 10 feet long. It held between 80 to 85 bags of grain. It was spread out on the floor of the Malthouse for a week and then turned and tossed in the air twice a day for that period. The "plough" (rake) was used mainly during the hot weather when the growth was so quick that the roots had to be loosened.

The Malthouse was situated on the corner of Dublin Street (now Waikawa Road) and High Street, Picton and took up the whole section through to Wellington Street. Mr. Thomas Pugh was the Manager for some years. The last Manager was Mr. Robert (Bob) Elliott. The Manager's cottage was situated on Wellington Street opposite the Mobile Garage (which is a second hand shop in 2011).
Object ID PMHS.800.0118
Object Name Shovel, Grain
Other # PMHS1.1661
People Pugh, Thomas
Elliott, Robert (Bob)
When using this image please quote "Images courtesy of Picton Museum and Historical Society".

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014