Stereoviews with James Chinn images
Ronga Memorial, Havelock

Previous Next Stereoviews (James Chinn) Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 9/65
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Enlarge Image
Collection Heffer
Photographer Chinn, James
Description Ronga Memorial, Havelock. Has 'Protected 1.8.07 Jas. Chinn', [1 August 1907] ' on the front. On the back is the number 44 and "Ronga Memorial, Havelock". It is a black and white image of a concrete memorial with a lamp on the top. The fire bell and a shed for the fire truck is in the background. The monument is to the victims of the sailing ship S.S. Ronga which, after a heavy gale, was found drifting bottom up off Cape Campbell in April 1906. No bodies of any crew members were found. The ship was later named 'Wairau' and owned by the Eckfords from 1912 to 1917 [source: History of the Eckford Shipping Co. and Blenheim river Traders 1881-1965, by H.S. (Bert) Eckford, published 1995, page 28]..
Year Range from 1907
Object ID 1989.024.0008
Object Name Stereoview
Place Havelock
Studio Grove Road, Blenheim
Title Ronga Memorial, Havelock
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.
Last modified on: January 16, 2015