Post Offices of Marlborough
Blenheim central Post Office

Previous Next Post Offices of Marlborough Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 26/89
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection MHS (unaccessioned) Photograph
Description Blenheim central Post Office, opened 4th July, 1974. Now owned by Te Runanga a Rangitane O Wairau whose headquarters are on the fourth floor. The Post office still operates from the ground floor.

There is a Coat of Arms above the posting boxes in the main entrance, showing a Maori man on the right and a Pakeha woman on the left. This is the New Zealand Coat of Arms [as seen on Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, under Politics of New Zealand]. Blenheim received their Coat of Arms in 1959 from the College of Arms, London [source:Borough of Blenheim, The First hundred, The Story of the Borough of Blenheim 1869-1969, by A. Beverley, 1969, page 166.]. The old Post Office had the emblems of state, the Lion and the Unicorn, as its Coat of Arms (Jenny Pierson 15 February 2013).
..................................................................................................................................................................
A copy of this photograph was used in exhibit 37 - Post Offices of Marlborough - October to November 2012, with this label:
Blenheim Chief Post Office on the corner of Scott Street and Main Street. Opened on July 4 1974.
Year Range from 1883
Year range to 1901
Object ID 0000.900.1239
Object Name Photograph
Studio Marlborough Express
Title Blenheim central Post Office
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014