Previous Next
Record 81/83
Description 
A black and white photograph showing the Flaxbourne woolshed as it was in Charles Clifford's day. Information as typed by Norm Brayshaw: "The wool shed at Flaxbourne station in Clifford's day - this building is still standing at Ward today [1959] on the property of Mr. E.M.P. Loe, The Homestead, Ward. According to Mr. H.H. Vavasour this shed had 28 stands, 14 on each side for blade shearers. Machines were installed in the 1890s, e.g. 1895. Wool was loaded into waggons and taken to the ward Beach and there lightered out to a ship off shore - often the s.s Wakatu. The building at the end of the shed is a small store." Copied by Norm Brayshaw in 1959 from a photograph supplied by J. Wiblin at Dalgetys, Blenheim. Includes a negative. There is a copy of this photograph in the same packet. A scan of this photograph will be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009. ................................................................................................................................................................................Caption 86 The large woolshed at Flaxbourne Station, in Charles Clifford's day. The Station had 60-70,000 sheep around 1870-1880. Sheep were blade shorn in the woolshed, there were 28 stands, 14 on each side. When weather, and sea, conditions permitted, wagons carried the bales to the Ward Beach to be loaded on to a ship waiting offshore. The S.S. Wakatu frequently appeared. 2009.067.0061
Flaxbourne Woolshed -Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
2009.067.0061

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014