Previous Next
Record 80/83
Description 
A black and white photograph of a small outline map of Flaxbourne and an unsourced word description of the area. "Flaxbourne. Flaxbourne was the first great South Island sheep run. It was established in 1847 by Charles Clifford and Frederick Weld, on land leased from Te Puaha, a Ngati Toa chief. Clifford shipped some 3,000 sheep from Sydney to Port Underwood in July 1847; they were driven to Flaxbourne in August. At its peak in 1879, the run consisted of 72,000 acres carrying 60,000 sheep. In 1905 the Government purchased 45,000 acres for subdivision into 80 farms. The remaining land was cut up in 1913." A scan of this photograph will be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009. ................................................................................................................................................................................Caption 84 The story of Flaxbourne Station, in a nutshell. Today this sign stands by the roadside on the east side of Ward. Some of the original farm buildings may be viewed from this point. 2009.067.0060
Flaxbourne -Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
2009.067.0060

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014