Previous Next
Record 35/83
Description 
A black and white mounted photograph showing a gold mining claim in the bush at Cullensville, along with a number of miners standing around. On the back the photograph is stamped, "A.M. Hale Collection", but this incorrect. This photograph almost certainly belongs in this Fuller collection (rather than the undescribed Cullensville photographs in the Dobson collection 1993.116), as it has Cullensville? written on the back in Innes Simonsen's handwriting. Simonsen stopped being MHS secretary in 1960 when Brayshaw took over. Later, in different coloured ink, a tick has been placed after the question mark over Cullensville. A scan of this photograph is to be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009. ................................................................................................................................................................................ Caption 36 Cullensville's Wairarapa gold claim about 1890; the most productive of any along Cullens Creek. There are at least 19 miners present. Most likely, they work two, or three, adjacent gold claims along the Creek. Unwanted boulders have been stacked behind posts in the foreground to stop the creek eroding away the workings. Make-shift shelters feature with miners' huts. Much of the bank on the left is destined for a Long Tom sluice box. 1958.007.0004
Cullensville's Wairarapa Gold Claim -Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
1958.007.0004

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014