Previous Next
Record 19/83
Description 
Red leather cover with brown corners and spine. Photographs pasted onto pages. Donated by Mr. A. Winstanley of 9 Rogers Street, Blenheim about 1966 through Don Furness of the Marlborough Express. Includes a letter of thanks from Norman H. Brayshaw, secretary of the Marlborough Historical Society to Mr. Winstanley. A card in front has: J.R. Akersten, photographer representing Macey's Studios, Blenheim, Picton & Havelock. Picton foreshore with Road department building. Scene of white tents in a big valley. Top Valley, Wairau, Marlborough. Seddon Railway Station. Market Place, Blenheim. Awatere Bridge. Awatere bridge again. St Peter's Church, Havelock. Interior of St Peter's Church, Havelock. Lucknow Street, Havelock. Brownlee's Mill, Pelorus. Pelorus river. Upper Pelorus Valley. Wakamarina. Wakamarina Bridge. Deep Creek, Wakamarina. Picton showing boat Old Jack. Pelorus river. Pelorus river again. Pelorus bridge. Rai Falls. Junction Pelorus and Rai rivers. Moutapu Bay, Pelorus Sound. Unnamed. Moutapu Pelorus Sound. Pelorus Sounds. Moutapu, Pelorus Sounds. Eli Bay, Pelorus Sound. Eli Bay - oil launch race. Tua Marina scene of Wairau Massacre. Waterworks Rd?, Picton. Picton, NZ in 1897. Picton viaduct. Picton. The "Dock", Picton. Viaduct, Picton - with train crossing. Viaduct, Picton - with train crossing. NZ. S.S. C? "Kaipara", 10,000 tons at Picton wharf. Picton - showing ships at wharf. Picton - showing coal hulk? 1906. Freezing works, Picton 1906. Pelorus valley from J.T. Daltons. Launches - one is "Mahau". Govt Railway station, Blenheim, 1906. Opawa river, Blenheim. Seddon. Viaduct, Picton - with train crossing. A scan of one of these two photographs is to be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009. As are Seddon railway station 1902 and Seddon 1905 (amended in label 56 to 1906). The photograph of the train crossing the Opawa River in image 4 is not part of the exhibition. .............................................................................................................................................................................. Caption 20 (see image 2) Picton's original railway viaduct over the Waitohi Stream, built about 1873. The sheer height of this trestle-type bridge was made necessary since it was situated on the long haul up from Picton, to the saddle at Elevation. This happened to be one of the two steepest gradients in the eventual trunk line between Picton, and Bluff. The G-class loco in the picture is hauling its maximum load. If any more wagons were added, then a "pusher" engine would be put on the lower end. 0000.009.0053 .............................................................................................................................................................................. Caption 55 (see image 3) Seddon in the news, 10 October, 1902. Acting Premier, Sir Joseph Ward, is on hand to declare the Picton-Christchurch railway open. It went as far South as the three-year old township of Seddon. By cutting the ribbon, Ward was also officially opening the new double-decker road-rail bridge over the Awatere River. Lumber lies about, as several railway buildings still await completion. Until 1899, Starborough Station's woolshed, and yards, was located in the area between the nearer locomotive, and the crowd. 0000.009.0053 ................................................................................................................................................................................ Caption 56 (see image 4) The new town of Seddon, in 1906. The scene's left half shows mainly New Zealand Rail property, and houses. To the right, we see the main road to Blenheim, leading left from the two nearest pedestrians towards the centre. Mrs Lambert ran the small shop, and the other, complete with veranda, belonged to James Fuller. Further right, is a church, and the two-storey Starborough Hotel. The tall trees at far left, and centre right, were part of Starborough Station, until it was subdivided in 1899. 0000.009.0053 ..............................................................................................................................................................................
Winstanley Album -Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
0000.009.0053

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014