Previous Next
Record 12/83
Description 
A black and white photograph showing Mr. Kennington standing on a platform whilst speaking about the monument behind him which is about to be unveiled. Two women are seated to one side and two men are standing on the other side. Information as typed by Norm Brayshaw: "Mr. Kennington, representative of the Marlborough County Council, speaking at the official opening of the Monument to the discovery of gold in the Wakamarina Valley area, unveiled 20th July 1940." Copied by Norm Brayshaw in 1962 from a photograph held by Mrs. Innes Jones, Havelock Suburban. Includes a negative. A scan of this photograph is to be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009. ............................................................................................................................................................................. Caption 13 The 1940 official opening of the pillar-monument to the discovery of gold by the two Rutlands, Harris and Wilson, in 1864. The pillar is quite near Mountain Camp Creek, in the Wakamarina Valley, marking the site of the discovery. The story of the rush has been engraved around the pillar. Mr Kennington, representing the Marlborough County Council, is addressing those present. 2009.067.0008
Wakamarina monument unveiling 1940 -Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
2009.067.0008

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014