Photographs of Marlborough 1859-1909
Cob Cookhouse at Leefield

Previous Next Photographs 1859-1909 Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 2/83
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Marlborough Province - down the decades from early days
Photographer Brayshaw, Norman Henry
Description A black and white photograph of a cob or mud cottage with a wooden roof, two windows and a central door. The right-hand side window is very broken and the whole hut looks unused. A man wearing a beret sits outside the open doorway with a sheep between his legs

Information as typed by Norm Brayshaw: "The cob cookhouse at Leefield Station in the Waihopai Valley."

Copied by Norm Brayshaw in 1961 from a photograph held by H.W. Watson, Renwick. Includes a negative.

A scan of this photograph is to be used in the Changing European History Gallery 2 display in commemoration of the Marlborough Provincial 150th anniversary on 1 November 2009.
................................................................................................................................................................................Caption 3
The Cob Cookhouse at Leefield Station, Waihopai Valley. By 1850, The Hon. Constantine Dillon was the owner of the Station. The low door lintel means that taller people today would have to duck when entering, also note the shingle roof. 2009.067.0006

Object ID 2009.067.0006
Object Name Photograph
People Watson, Herbert Walter
Dillon, Constantine Augustus
Place Waihopai Valley/Leefield
Subjects Cob Cottage
Cookhouse
Mud hut
Whare
Title Cob Cookhouse at Leefield
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014