||MHS (Unaccessioned) Photographs
||A laminated onto cardboard copy of a photograph: The Miners' Arms Hotel, Cullensville. There is nothing written on the back.
A label made for the 1997 gold mining display, source, date of writing and author unknown, is as follows: "The Miners' Arms Hotel. The Law family (including the friendly pig) with Thomas Law holding a man size whisky bottle. Thomas Law leased the Hotel from William Darvil who had bought it in 1893 from Mrs. E. Dickson with earnings he made from gold obtained from the nearby Hibernian Gold Claim. Mrs. Elizabeth Dickson established the first accommodation house in Cullensville which was just a rough cottage at first. It grew in stages until it was licensed in October 1888 as The Miners' Arms Hotel. At this stage the township comprised four wooden buildings and about 200 tents. This hotel was completely destroyed by fire on 25 January 1896."
This photograph is reproduced on page 243 of Mike Johnston's book, Gold in a Tin Dish, Volume 2, The history of the eastern Marlborough goldfields, published 1993 by Nikau Press, where he captions it: "Thomas (right) and Elizabeth Law and their children outside their hotel, the Miners' Arms, probably in 1893. James Mechan is standing in front of what was the back door of the original single-storied hotel. The hotel was destroyed by fire in January 1896. (Marlborough Historical Society)
|Year Range from
|Year range to
Dickson, Elizabeth Mrs.
||Miner's Arms Hotel, Cullensville.