||MHS (Unaccessioned) Photographs
||A laminated onto cardboard copy of a photograph: Cullensville, Mahakipawa. "Tyree, Nelson, N.Z., 1127", written on the front. There is nothing written on the back.
A label from the 1997 Gold Mining display, source, date of writing and author unknown, is as follows: "Cullensville. Cullensville was a small mining township that was built to support the miners and their families, working on the Mahakipawa goldfields in the Mahakipawa Valley (Cullen's Creek), Pelorus Sound in Marlborough.
"Cullensville came into existence at the outbreak of the Cullensville diggings in early 1888. The first business established was in July 1888, and was William Fortesque's bakery. He sold bread at eight pence per loaf. By Christmas 1888, Cullensville had grown to include the following businesses -
"Five general stores, three bakeries, two blacksmiths, two butcher shops, three boot makers, a hairdresser, two drapers shops, two skittle alleys, two billiard rooms, one shooting gallery, two restaurants, an agency of the National Bank (for the buying of gold off the miners), a courthouse with resident constable, an oyster saloon, post and telegraph office.
"The Grand National Hotel owned and run by William Olliver.
"The Mahakipawa Central Hotel (known as the Piggery) owned by Mrs. Gregg and run by Mr. Thomas Munday.
"The Miners' Arms Hotel owned and run by Mrs. Elizabeth Dickson."
This photograph is reproduced on page 203 of Mike Johnston's book, Gold in a Tin Dish, Volume 2, The history of the eastern Marlborough goldfields, published 1993 by Nikau Press, where he captions it: "Cullensville in late 1888 comprised a mixture of canvas, wooden and corrugated iron buildings along Allen Street, with the tents of the miners on its periphery. The most prominent buildings, at each end of the town, are the Miners' Arms and Grand National (still flying its builder's flag) hotels. The original (single storied) part of the Miners' Arms Hotel faces away from the street, having been built when Allen Street was laid out closer to the hillside. At the sourthern end of the town is Blake and Fama's restaurant, with Litchfield's store next door. (Tyree Collection, Nelson Provincial Museum)."
Photographer could be either Frederick (born 1867) or William Tyree. William operated from Trafalgar Street, Nelson from 1878. Tyree brothers worked from the Trafalgar Street premises up to 1888. William continued there and Frederick operated from Takaka from 1889 [Source: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, volume 5, published 1906].
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Cullensville in late 1888