Previous Next
Record 9/28
Description 
Page 8 of 27: Five views of The Marlborough Express in High Street (the sixth 1975 view is on page 9). 1. 1878. The Marlborough Express newspaper began publishing in 1866 and they moved from their Alfred Street premises to High Street in 1878. They took over the BNZ (Bank of New Zealand building and site, which must have included a small building on the Bank's left as that is where the Express set up business in 1878, as seen in this photograph. On their left , where the two men and standing talking, is the office of solicitor, William Sinclair, son of James Sinclair, known as the Founder of Blenheim. At this time the newspaper was owned by James Henry Boundy. Smith James Furness came in as partner in 1879. 2. 1900. High Street looking towards Seymour Street. The town is suffering one of its periodic floods, several men are up to their thighs in water and two are in boats. Mrs. Annie Draper's two-storied Club Hotel has the ground level flooded, people sit on the upstairs window-sills and look out. A white arrow points to the one-storied Express building, while the old BNZ (Bank of New Zealand) building beside it is covered with scaffolding. 3. c.1902, High Street looking down to Market Place. On the extreme left hand side the old BNZ building can just be seen. Next to it is the Express office, now called, "Marlborough Express and Printing Works". Across Market Place the big two-storied building is Girlings & Co., drapers. Across Lower High Street is the BNZ Building, across the square, beside the power pole, is a corner of the third Post Office and beside that on the right hand side is corner of the Club Hotel. 4. By 1905 the Express has moved into the old BNZ building and they were still there in 1975 (see page 9). 5. Taken on 19 July 1919 when, "Great peace celebrations are held in Blenheim. The sum of 1,307 pound was spent on decorations, children's prizes, fireworks and large arches over the streets" [Beverley]. This view is looking up the street to Seymour Square. An elaborate gateway has been erected with many flags and the words, "A World Peace" across the top. The Marlborough Express building can be seen on the right, just beyond South Britain Insurance.
The Marlborough Express -Don Furness - Marlborough Then and Now -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
1995.015.0192

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014