||Don Furness Photograph Album
||Page 6 of 27: Three views of Market Street North looking from Market Place and two views of Alfred Street looking from the bridge end.
1. Undated photograph of Market Street North looking from Market Place. Taken after 1868, when the first Presbyterian Church was built on the north side of Alfred Street on section 452 of Alfred Dobson's plan of Beaver. It, and its small spire, can be seen at the end of the street on the left hand side. Earlier, while it was being built, a flood carried the structure away downstream. The newly erected Church was opened on 24 May 1868. In 1871 the Church had a fence put across the street (reason unknown) and a fence can be seen on the right hand side of the Church across Alfred Street. This is across the track leading up from the Omaka river for people coming from Grove Road. It goes between the Royal Hotel and the Rainbow Hotel as seen on page 3. So the photograph was possibly taken about 1872. Nosworthy's store is still on the left hand side corner with Alfred Street and a woman with a baby in a pushchair can be seen on the right hand side footpath. The sign on the large building at the bottom of the street is unreadable.
2. A similar view to number 1, but taken in 1884. The Criterion Hotel has taken over from Nosworthy's store at the left bottom of the street, hiding the church. G.D. Mason, possibly a watchmaker & jeweler, has a shop on the right.
3. This is the now view, probably taken in the 1980s. From Market Place, NZI House (New Zealand Insurance) towers above the older shops. The Resene Colour Shop, selling paint and wallpaper, has taken the place of the large building at the end of the street. The Criterion Hotel has a sign on its roof and is painted a fresh yellow and white. Millers Drapery and Clothing store is on the left hand side and next to it Hallensteins Menswear. Two women in white T shirts and trousers stroll on the right hand side. A strong contrast to the lady in her bonnet, long sleeves and heavy long skirt in their place one hundred or so years before.
4. Alfred Street, taken from the Omaka river bridge end. Again undated but possibly in the 1900s. E.H. Best, who was a cycle dealer in the 1917 Post Office Directory, has his shop on the right hand side with a bicycle attached to the building above the verandah. Mr. Falconer imported the first bicycle to Marlborough in 1869 and they abound in this picture. A lady in a long skirt is riding a bicycle in the foreground. There is one behind her, further down the street, and several in a bike stand across the street in front of Best's shop. On the other side of the street is Holcrofts Up To Date Furniture Factory. He later takes over Quartlys Music Shop which is next door to the tall building with "T. Smale" on its front. The imposing building with white pillars on the left is the Blenheim Library and Reading Room, previously the Literary Institute. It was taken over by the Blenheim Borough Council in 1902 and at various times included space for a small museum.
5. This is the now photograph and was probably taken in the 1980s at the same time as number 3. The photographer is standing on the Alfred Street traffic bridge looking up Alfred Street towards the Criterion Hotel Corner. The hotel being resplendent in white and yellow colours. NZI House (New Zealand Insurance) stands tall on the opposite corner. All of the old buildings appear to be gone, including the Library.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
Best, Ethelbert Henry
||Market Street North and Alfred Street