Don Furness - Marlborough Then and Now
Market Street North

Previous Next Don Furness - Marlborough Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 5/28
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Enlarge Image
Collection Don Furness Photograph Album
Description Page 4 of 27: Six views of Market Street North.

1. Market Street North taken c. 870. The second Post Office can be seen at the end of the street in Market Place. Nosworthy's name is on the building at right front. This is section 81 on Alfred Dobson's 1857 plan of Beaver and it was owned by the Nosworthy brothers, William and James. James was a tin plate worker and William a general merchant. William was a Blenheim Borough Councillor in 1869 and became Town Clerk in 1884.

2. Market Street North taken in 1884 from the corner with Alfred Street. The third Post Office can be seen at the end of the street to the left. The large building across the street from it is the Club Hotel. The large building in the right front of the photograph is the Criterion Hotel, built for James Sinclair about 1871 on what was then known as Nosworthy's corner. The hotel took up both sections 81 and 82. This building burnt down in 1887 and the second Criterion Hotel was built in 1888. There is a Criterion Hotel still on this corner in 2011.

3. Taken in 1887, this picture of desolation is after the terrible fire on 30 June 1887 which began in the Criterion Hotel and took out most of the business area of Market Street North and Place. Dr. Horne, who was at the hotel, lost his life while trying to save his son. The Criterion Hotel was rebuilt in 1888, but the then owner, George C. Carter, went bankrupt in the process. For another view of the aftermath of the fire see 1 on page 19.

4. Postcard marked B of, "Market Street North, looking towards Post Office, Blenheim, N.Z." On the bottom right is written, "Photo S.C. Smith, B. 22". On the back is Tanner Brothers Limited Photographic Series. The third Post Office is clearly visible at the end of the street in Market Place. Power poles line each side of the street. The Marlborough Electric Power Board first supplied electricity to Market Place on 6 August 1927, when it was switched on by the Honorable K.S. Williams. The second Criterion Hotel stands on the corner at the right, there is a tobacconist sign further up the street and a pharmacy on the left hand side. An earlier motor vehicle is having problems and is being attended to on the left, while a horse and cart clops on by on the right.

5. An undated coloured picture marked A of Market Street North, similar to number 4.

6. Coloured photograph probably taken in the 1980s. The Criterion Hotel is fresh in yellow and white paint on the right hand side. The left hand side is completely dominated by the multi-storied NZI House (New Zealand Insurance). Cars are busy around the intersection.
Year Range from 1872
Year range to 1994
Object ID 1995.015.0188
Object Name Album, Photograph
People Dobson, Alfred
Nosworthy, James
Nosworthy, William
Carter, George C.
Smith, S.C.
Horne, Lewis Keele
Place Marlborough
Title Market Street North
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.
Last modified on: December 19, 2014