||Beavertown Fire Station
||Beavertown Fire Station: Fire Bell. On permanent loan from the New Zealand Fire Service commission. This bell was ordered by the Blenheim Fire Brigade for use as an alarm in 1870 from Melbourne suppliers. It was erected on a wooden bell stand next to the engine-house in Alfred Street, which was opposite the Criterion Hotel in the RSA car park. The old engine-house and tower can be seen in the photograph in image (6).
In 1886 it was removed from the Brigade Headquarters and placed in a fork of a large gum tree on the corner of Scott Street and Maxwell Road. It stayed there until September 1897 when it was removed from the tree and erected on a steel tower alongside the Town Hall.
Later it was replaced by a larger bell and was then lent to Marlborough College for a number of years before being returned to the Blenheim Fire Committee and stored in the Marlborough County Council yards.
When the Fire Service was nationalized in 1976 and fire committees abolished, the bell was returned to the Brigade. That year members decided to donate it to the New Zealand Fire Service Commission for display at their National Headquarters in Wellington. It remained there for several years until being returned to Blenheim and displayed at the Blenheim Fire Station. In 2006 it was given on permanent loan to the Marlborough Historical Society for display at the Beavertown Fire Station.
Jenny Pierson, 30 July 2012: From Page 5 of Norm Brayshaw's duplicate letter book 6/10/1969-26/4/1971 which is in Archives, Bay 91, Shelf B, Box MHS Correspondence 1964-74.
The Secretary, Board of Governors, Marlborough College, Blenheim, 30 October 1969.
Acting on the advice of Mr. W.B. Bendall, I have removed the bell from between the Assembly Hall and the main building. This bell was formerly used by the local fire brigade in the Grove Road area. It has been placed in the above Society's storeroom for safe keeping and this letter acknowledges our willingness to care for it. Signed N.H. Brayshaw