Beavertown Fire Station
Truck, Crash

Previous Next Beavertown Fire Station Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 3/14
Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Beavertown Fire Station
Date 1942
Description Beavertown Fire Station: 1942 Ford V8 Crash Fire Tender. RNZAF No. 10865. Civil Aviation Number 206. Marlborough county Council No. 51. Registration number DY 2572, last registered in 1981. It is an open cab truck with a Colmoco pump and CO2 compressed gas in bottles behind the cab. The gas was used by the Airforce and Civil Aviation. Wairau Valley Volunteer Fire Brigade put in water tanks and the instructions on how to use them are on the side of the vehicle. The siren is on the left hand front.

Originally built for the RNZAF, nothing is known of its early history. In 1957 it was taken on charge by the Director of Civil Aviation and stationed at the Westport Airport. In 1960, after a hot and dry summer and a large wheat stubble fire at Lansdowne Station opposite the Wairau Valley township, a public meeting was held to discuss the possibility of forming a Fire Brigade. Mr. Graham Baker, a County Councillor, undertook to investigate to what extent the Marlborough County Council could help. After further meetings, the Wairau Valley Volunteer fire Brigade was formed and the task of finding a suitable appliance and building a fire station began. Mr. Basil Hundleby, the County Engineer, found that this tender was for sale at a reasonable price and it was duly purchased by the Marlborough County Council. Messrs. Graham Baker and Cyril Broadbridge then travelled to Westport and took delivery. To enable it to be used as a rural fire appliance more water capacity was required and a tank was fitted between the side lockers. A ladder rack and flashing light was also fitted and to improve its starting, an electric fuel pump was added. It proved to be an efficient and reliable machine and served the district well.

From the MHS minutes of 13 October 1981: "The fire engine donated by the Marlborough County Council is now permanently housed at the Beavertown fire station. Arrangements have been made with a group from the Blenheim Volunteer Fire Brigade to take charge of all fire fighting relics."
Object ID 0000.800.0832
Object Name Truck, Crash
When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014