Previous Next
Record 15/24
Description 
Railway workers about 1913. Taken from the photograph: "Railway navvies on the Seddon Ward railway line about 1913. Standing left to right: Peter Paul, William McIsaac, Robert Blackburn, Hughie Gee, John O'Connor?, E.D. Higgins?, Mark Ford. Sitting left to right: Dan Reardon, Harvey Spencer, Dan Bullard. Names supplied by Allen Hale, June 1964." From the envelope containing the photograph: "Railway siding at Seddon in preparation for the building of J.J. Corry's new grain store. The work could have been carried out sometime in 1913. Ward Tyler & Co. Builders, Blenheim, built Corry's Store. The foreman was Norman Forbes. The store was finished in January 1914, but owing to the severe drought no crops were harvested for 2 years. In 1916 Johnnie O'Rourke was appointed head storeman for Corry's. He left Levin & Co., Blenheim and Corry put him up in a residence in Seddon. Finally J.J. Corry sold the grain store, together with his Grove Road, Blenheim grain store, to the New Zealand Farmers Co-op in Blenheim. Farmers pulled down the Seddon grain store and used the iron for other purposes. So said George Martella to A.M.H [A. M. Hale] on June 6, 1964."
Railway Workers about 1913 -Awatere Road Rail Bridge 1902 to 2007 -Copyright Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc
Image
Railway navvies

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Marlborough Museum - Marlborough Historical Society Inc"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: December 19, 2014