Previous End of Exhibit
Record 23/23

Previous Next
Image 3 of 6

Description 
The Iron Store, also more recently known as the Red Shed The red shed is constructed in corrugated iron on a timber frame. The roof was repaired in 2009 by Bernard Mason. Many of the original lead head nails were hand made on site. The shed was built in the early 1850s on the Flaxbourne Station where it was originally used as a produce store for the Station. The corrogated iron was sunk into the concrete to prevent pests from entering the shed. Long boats could negotiate the Ward River as far as the Iron Store before the earthquake of 1855. In 1896 an annex on the shed was set up as a Telegraph Station between the Clarence River and the "Salt Lakes" (these were probably the Wairau Lagoons). The telegraphist, "Old Pat", could often be heard putting in the weekly orders to Blenheim, finishing off with the comment "don't forget the G.G." [Gordons Gin] It was also used as a horse changing station for the coaches and as a social centre for groups such as the Country Women's Institute. In 1905 the first Ward school was housed in this building while the new school was being built. With the arrival of the Railway in 1911 the shed fell out of use and returned to is original function as a storage shed. According to Mr James Loe (previous owner) the shed was never used as a wool store. The station wool would have been transported directly to the beach. The shed and land were gifted to the Flaxbourne Settlers Association by the Low family. .................................................................................................................................................................. A copy of the photograph with this object was used in exhibit 37 - Post Offices of Marlborough - October to November 2012, with this label: Ward district's first Post Office on Flaxbourne Station. Opened 1867, closed 1911.
Shed -Red Shed -Copyright Flaxbourne Settlers Association
Image
FSA2009.001.0001

When using this image please quote "Image courtesy of Flaxbourne Settlers Association"

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: January 16, 2015