||EFS (unaccessioned) General
||One bottle with a ship inside it.
"The Westland fully rigged ship of 1, 116 tons. This ship, The Westland, was loading wool at Port Chalmers at the time the "Edwin Fox" (then converted to a store-freezer vessel) was due to be transferred to Picton. Shaw, Savill & Albion, owner of both ships, loaned Captain Kelly of the "Westland" to be in charge of the "Edwin Fox" for her tow to Picton. Captain Kelly sent his carpenters on board to rigg the "Edwin Fox" with fore and aft canvas loaned from the "Westland". The staff of the "Edwin Fox" were signed on as crew for the voyage and were as follows: James Hugh Scott (signed on as mate). Crew: Mr. Knight (2nd engineer); Mr. Duncan (3rd engineer); Mr. Walsh (4th engineer); Messrs. Cashman & Stiver (firemen); Mr. Jewis (fireman & cook); Mr. Gibb (permanent A.B.). With Captain Kelly in command and three able seamen from the "Westland" to man the wheel, the "Edwin Fox" left Port Chalmers on the 8th January 1897, under tow by the 'Kawatiri", captained by Captain Abstein, and 4 days later the "Fox" dropped anchor in Picton Harbour."
||Scott, James Hugh