Previous Next
Record 23/112

Next
Image 1 of 2

Description 
Block of oak timber from H.M.S. Victory, Portsmouth 1947. Label reads, "Oak timber form H.M.S. Victory, Portsmouth, kindly donated by Commander Richard L. Harding R.N.Z.N. [Royal New Zealand Navy] (Ret.) [Retired]. HMS Victory was launched in 1765 at Chatham Dockyard and was commissioned in 1778. She continued in active service for the next 34 years which included her most famous moment-the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. In 1812 the Victory was retired from frontline duty and anchored in Portsmouth Harbour, on the south coast of England. For the next 110 years the Victory remained at her moorings in Portsmouth Harbour fulfilling a combination of practical and ceremonial roles. In 1922, amid fears for her continued survival, the Victory was moved into Portsmouth's Royal Naval Dockyard and placed in No2 Dry Dock. Work then began on restoring the Victory to her 'fighting' 1805 condition and continues today [source: hms-victory.com].
Wood -Edwin Fox Society Collection of Objects and Photographs -Copyright Edwin Fox Society Inc
Image
EFS1990.002.0002

When using this image please quote "Images courtesy of Edwin Fox Society Inc".

When ordering images from the Museum, please quote the Object ID for each image required.     info@marlboroughmuseum.org.nz
Last modified on: January 22, 2015